Campbell Union High School District

Skip to main content
Curriculum & Instruction » Alternative Education

Alternative Education

Alternative programs are for students who need or desire an alternative instructional approach. These programs allow students to complete high school in a productive and purposeful way. To enroll in an alternative program, students must be recommended by an administrator.
Boynton Continuation High School

The program is structured to address students’ personal and academic needs, and students are given the opportunity to learn behaviors that will help them establish a pattern of success. A comprehensive guidance program, flexible scheduling and varied delivery systems emphasize the relationship between school and work. Students must be 16 years or older to enter this program.
Camden Community Day School (CCDS)

This school serves the needs of exceptionally at-risk youth. The goal of CCDS is to provide an academic experience which assists students in being successful with life skills, academic achievement and coping skills so that they may return to a regular school setting.
Home/Hospital Instruction

This program is for students who are unable to attend the regular school program for health reasons. A physician’s note is required.
Independent Study

Students meet regularly with an independent studies teacher to receive course assignments and take tests. Students in this program must be highly responsible and self-motivated to complete their work independently.
General Education Diploma (GED)

CUHSD students can enroll in classes to prepare for the GED shortly before their eighteenth birthday. Classes are offered through Campbell Adult Community Education (CACE).
California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE)

Administered by the State Department of Education, this exam yields the legal equivalent of a high school diploma. Students may take the CHSPE if they are at least 16 years old or have been enrolled in the tenth grade for at least one academic year. If a student passes the exam and has verified parent/guardian permission, the student may leave high school for college or work.
Santa Clara County Alternative Schools Department

The Santa Clara County Office of Education provides educational programs for students who are under court supervision or who are not attending regular school for a variety of reasons. The program emphasizes academic competency as well as behavior improvement.

For more information, contact Dr. Heidi Reyes, Director Student Services, at 371-0960, ex. 2016 or