An Interdistrict Transfer is for 1) students living within Campbell Union High School District (CUHSD) who wish to attend a school outside the District and 2) students living outside the CUHSD who wish to attend a school within the District.
For students living outside CUHSD, transfers must be initiated by the parent/legal guardian at the home district of residence.
For students living outside CUHSD and wishing to attend a school within the district, we encourage you to acquaint yourself with the unique and outstanding programs each of our schools has to offer by reviewing the School Accountability Report Card for each school. All transfer requests will be granted based on school capacity. If requests exceed a site’s capacity, priority will go to siblings of current students at that site.
If you are a new resident to CUHSD boundaries, you must enroll at your resident high school even if you have or are wanting to submit either an Intradistrict or Interdistrict transfer application request.
Application Period for 2023-24 School Year is
DECEMBER 1 - JANUARY 31
for Outgoing Interdistrict Transfers (Leaving CUHSD)
Note to Outgoing Request submitter: notifications will be sent to the email address provided in the original Informed K-12 submission. You MUST click on the link provided for the CUHSD release decision. You will need to follow up with the requested school district for final placement decision.
FEBRUARY 1 - FEBRUARY 24
for Incoming Interdistrict Transfers (Entering CUHSD)
NOTE: it is the responsibility of the Parent or Legal Guardian to ensure the request is processed through the home school district, release fully executed and submitted to the email address below for the final CUHSD consideration process.
Placement notifications will be sent via US Mail to the address listed on the request no later than the end of March 2023.
Refer to the FAQ's below.
How to Apply for an Interdistrict Transfer if Leaving CUHSD
Beginning December 1 and continuing through January 31st, students living within CUHSD who wish to attend a school outside the district must complete a CUHSD Interdistrict Transfer form.
- Interdistrict transfers are good for the requested year only and must be renewed every year at the initiative of the parent or legal guardian.
- CUHSD may agree to release your student, however, submission does not guarantee approved acceptance. Proofs of residency will be required by the approving district.
- NOTE: Email notifications are sent via the original Informed-K12 submission form. It will appear as This is NOT the decision-You must open the email and click on the link to see the placement decision. It will state "Approved" or "Denied".
- Once this form is completed and, if approved, it is forwarded to the new school district for their consideration.
- Requests for students with an I.E.P. must include a full and complete copy of the most current I.E.P. along with the application.
- Incomplete submissions will not be accepted.
- Early submissions will be returned to the submitter.
How to Apply for an Interdistrict Transfer if Entering CUHSD
Parents/Legal Guardians who do not reside in CUHSD and wish to apply for their student to enter into a CUHSD school must initiate the Interdistrict transfer request at the school district where they reside. Please visit Santa Clara County Tax Assessors Public Portal to locate your home school district information. Your school district will determine the release and forward it to CUHSD for consideration
- Students currently attending a feeder middle school on a non-resident Charter or Interdistrict Transfer status are not automatically enrolled in CUHSD schools.
- Due to space and enrollment considerations, CUHSD limits the number of incoming interdistrict transfers.
- While your school district may release your student, submission to CUHSD does not guarantee approved acceptance. You are highly encouraged to enroll in your home school of residence to ensure placement.
- Notifications will go out via email (if provided) or via US mail in late March or early April.
- Enrollment & residency verification will be performed at the school site as part of the enrollment process. Instructions are on the formal acceptance notification.
- Any approved transfer may be canceled at any time subject to falsification of information stated on the request application, unsatisfactory grades, attendance or behavior. A review of these conditions will be performed throughout the school year during each 6 week grading period. Students not meeting these agreed conditions may have their transfer immediately revoked.
Be advised, AB 2826 imposes a timeline for parents to appeal a district's decision within 30 calendar days. To appeal, please find information from the Santa Clara County Office of Education's appeal process. NOTE: While the SCCOE Board of Trustees can overturn a denial into CUHSD, they cannot determine specific site placement.
Per BP 5117 -- Please be advised of the following necessary conditions should an Interdistrict Transfer be granted:
- Transportation to your school of transfer must be provided by the parent(s) or legal guardian(s).
- Good attendance, behavior and proper level of effort to studies will be expected of your student.
- The transfer is good for the current year and the permit to attend will expire at the end of the same school year.
- Interdistrict Transfers must be renewed every year at the initiative of the parent or legal guardian.
- Renewal is subject to approval.
- The transfer may affect athletic eligibility.
Frequently Asked Questions
We currently live in the CUHSD boundary lines and are thinking of moving; can my student remain at their current school?
Once your move is completed with a signed/dated Lease/Rental agreement or Close of Escrow document , and the address is outside of the CUHSD boundary lines, you must initiate an Interdistrict Transfer request from your new home school district. If the new address is within CUHSD boundary lines, but outside of the current school boundary lines, you must initiate an Intradistrict Transfer request.
I live outside of CUHSD boundary lines and my student has been attending school on an Interdistrict or Charter transfer permit; what do I need to do?
Any student who resides outside of the CUHSD boundary lines and would like to request to attend one of the district high schools must initiate an Interdistrict Transfer request with their HOME SCHOOL DISTRICT OF RESIDENCE. Please visit Santa Clara County Tax Assessors Public Portal to locate your home school district information. Your school district will determine the release and forward it to CUHSD for consideration. Notifications will go out typically in the Spring. Your student cannot complete class placement requests until the transfer has been approved and placement confirmed. You are highly encouraged to enroll your student in your home school of residence to ensure a smooth transition to high school.
I put in a request for a Transfer and I’m getting emails from my home school of residence; does that mean my request was denied? What do I do?
High school attendance is based on your home residence address. The transfer process does not alter or change until the Spring once the placement decisions have been finalized. In the meantime, please proceed with attending your home school of residence parent night, class selection processes and Aeries Student Account login process. Once placements have been finalized, all information will transfer with your student to the school of attendance. SIDE NOTE: Parents are welcome to attend any school site parent nights in the interest of obtaining information.
What are my chances of my transfer request getting approved? What is the likelihood that my transfer request will get approved?
High School attendance is based on home residence address. CUHSD has a practice of allowing a limited number of transfers within school sites (Intra) and from outside of the district (Inter) if site capacity allows. These are reviewed every school year and are dependent on site and program capacity. If you feel you have a special circumstance, please include a letter of reasoning with your transfer request.
I submitted a transfer request, when will I find out if it has been approved?
The open window to submit requests is Dec 1-Jan 31 for Free Zone, Intradistrict and outgoing Interdistrict transfer requests. The open window for incoming Interdistrict transfer requests is Feb 1-Feb 24. ALL notifications will go out typically no later than the end of March. Do not call or email the District Office for a status update until after April 1.
My inter-district transfer was approved - what’s next?
Please refer to the formal approval letter for specific instructions on how to enroll your student. Reference forms for approved interdistrict transfer/non-resident families are available for review.
My transfer request was denied; what is my recourse?
If you reside outside of the CUHSD boundary lines and your request for an Interdistrict Transfer is denied, AB 2826 imposes a timeline for parents to appeal a district's decision within 30 calendar days. Please visit the SCCOE Appeal process page. Please note that the appeal decision only applies for entry to CUHSD, not a specific school site.
Form Submissions and Contact Information
For Districts needing to submit an approved Interdistrict Transfer form, please email it to [email protected]
Most forms are processed automatically via Informed K-12 or ParentSquare. If you have a need to send any correspondence or inquiries pertaining to Enrollment, Transfers, Transcripts, Work Permits OR any other Student Service-related needs, please send via U.S. Mail:
Campbell Union High School District Office
3235 Union Avenue,
San Jose, CA 95124
San Jose, CA 95124
Attn: Student Services
Questions: Please call (408) 371-0960 x2076