Campbell Union High School District

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu
Westmont's field hockey team
Westmont High School's cancer initiative
Del Mar students at a spirit rally
Del Mar sports team
Leigh Seniors at a spirit rally
Students at Leigh High School
Leigh students

Work Permits

If you would like to work and you are not yet 18 years of age, you must have a work permit. The State of California enforces strict rules regarding the issuance of work permits.  You can find this information from The State of California Department of Industrial Relations.
How to Get a Work Permit During the Academic Year:
Your high school will issue your work permit during the regular school year.  
  1. Pick up the instructions and application from your school office or print them from below.
  2. Complete the work permit application in full to include the employer information and your parent or legal guardian's signature. 
  3. Return the signed application along with the following required documents.  It is not possible to issue a work permit without this information: 
    • Original signed Social Security card
      • AND one of the following:
        • Original passport
        • Original birth certificate
        • California drivers license
        • California issued identification card
  4. Your work permit application will be processed within two business days.*
  5. Only the requesting student may pick up the official work permit as their signature is required for its release.
  6. Take the original work permit to your place of employment.
Important Information:
  • Students need to maintain a 2.0 GPA
  • Work Permits will not be issued if you have outstanding bills at your high school
How to Get a Summer Work Permit:

Your high school will issue your summer work permit during the regular school year.  See the instructions above.  If your high school is closed for summer break, summer-only work permits will be issued from the District office.  Download the Work Permit Instructions and Application Form below or pick them up from the Campbell Union High School District Office at 3235 Union Avenue, San Jose, CA 95124.  Office hours are Monday through Friday between the hours of 8 AM and 4:30 PM.  408-371-0960, ext. 2028
All requirements and procedures are the same as noted above except:
    • Summer work permits will be ready the next business day
    • Summer work permits expire 5 business days after the start of the new school year
For Private/Charter School Administrators
Complete CDE B1-8 Statement of Intent for Self-Certification for Permit to Employ and Work and CDE B1-1 Statement of Intent to Employ a Minor and Request for a Work Permit-Certificate of Age.  Both located on this California Department of Education page.  Contact information is provided on the form.