Welcome to the CUHSD Athletics Resources page
CUHSD’s ECG Heart Screenings
For 9th and 11th grade student athletes
On June of 2022, the CUHSD Board of Trustees voted to require electrocardiogram (ECG) heart screenings as part of 9th and 11th grade student’s Athletics Pre-Participation Physical.
The Kyle J. Taylor Foundation shared with the Board that Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) is the #1 killer of student athletes in the U.S. and the #1 cause of death on school campuses - with an electrocardiogram (ECG) heart screening being the most effective tool to identify youth at risk for SCA. The Foundation has found that seven CUHSD alumni have been affected by SCA, six of whom lost their lives. All of them had their usual pre-athletics physical screenings and underlying conditions had been missed. The seventh knew about SCA and asked for a screening; leading to identification and treatment.
What 9th and 11th grade athletes need to do:
Athletes in grades 9 and 11 during 2022-23 will need to get a heart screening, either as part of or in addition to their Athletic Pre-Participation Physical, prior to participation in sports. Students and families will need to use the most updated version of the Athletics Physical Exam Form at: https://www.cuhsd.org/apps/pages/AthleticsResources
It is important to note:
- An outside doctor or primary care physician completing the physical and providing the ECG screening meets the requirement
- If an outside doctor does not provide this screening, students can complete their screening at an on-campus event hosted by the Foundation at a cost of $10
- If the physical is completed at an on-campus event, students can also schedule their screening for the on-campus ECG Screening hosted by the Foundation at a cost of $10
- Students can sign up for an on-campus screening event hosted by the Foundation at: https://www.kylejtaylor.org/district-screenings.html#/
Information for Fall Student Athletes:
Students participating in fall sports for 2022 will be given a grace period to complete their ECG heart screening. Students must complete their screening before their first official league game. Additionally, students in fall sports will be the only students able to participate in the make-up screenings.
Heart Screening FAQ's
Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) is the #1 killer of student athletes in the U.S., the #1 cause of death on school campuses, and the #2 cause of medical death among youth under age 25. Electrocardiogram (ECG) heart screening is the most effective tool to identify youth at risk for SCA. Given that 75% of fatalities for student athletes during sports are cardiovascular related, ECG screenings for student athletes can be a valuable component of the clearance process for athletic activity. There are at least seven recent CUHSD alumni who have been affected by SCA, six of whom lost their lives to this condition. All of them had their usual pre-athletics physical screening and underlying conditions had been missed. The seventh knew about SCA and asked his doctor for a screening; this led to identification of an underlying condition and proper treatment.
Links to School Sites Athletics Pages
- Branham High School Athletics
- Del Mar High School Athletics
- Leigh High School Athletics
- Prospect High School Athletics
- Westmont High School Athletics